[Cialug] Compiling 32 bit app on 64 host

Ken MacLeod ken at bitsko.slc.ut.us
Fri Jan 1 20:22:47 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Trying to setup a build environment for a production app, .. I got the 32
> bit gss & libraries installed, but make now returns:
>
>  *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.
>
> Is it worth trying to it working, or should I just build a 32-bit VM?

It's probably possible to get working but long-term it would probably
be easier to use a 32-bit environment where everything "just works" by
default.

I use 32-bit VMs or chroots.  In Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, mock(1) will
create 32-bit-only chroots and in particular it uses setarch(8) to set
a 32-bit execution environment.

  -- Ken