[Cialug] Job Posting - Linux Admin

Corey Chandler lists at sequestered.net
Thu Feb 25 12:33:10 CST 2010

On 2/25/10 11:21 AM, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> I think there's a mind-set that they want to get the cheapest they can
> manage. Maybe they're willing to pay $75-85k but they think/hope/wish
> someone who wants $45k would apply.

Common misconception.  Assuming you fit the criteria, "I'll be your
Linux admin for half of what you're expecting to pay" is NOT a good
thing from the company's perspective.

That tells them one of three things.

1. You're crap.

2. You're desperate for a job today, but that low salary is enough to
finance an extended job search so you can leave them for a "real" job.

3. You have absolutely no idea what the position SHOULD pay-- which
means that luring you away from them is child's play for another company
down the road.  Few people can resist a doubling in their salary...

> I can't fault them for that.

> If anything can be faulted, it's that it takes so long to apply for jobs
> online these days. A friend of mine is looking for work and it takes
> aprox 1.5 hours per job to apply through the web. Some of that is
> "gettign started" time and if you had 8 hours to block off you might do
> 8 job applications.
>
> Part of me just knows that there's someone on the applicant side wishing
> it were faster/easier and someone on the HR side who just prints them
> out and wishes they could have a nicely formatted, easy to read version
> rather than this stupid print-out where sometimes the lines get cut off
> through the middle and it takes 4 pages which are mostly blank (not
> counting the one that just has the web-pages footer in it).

I hear you, but if you're job hunting properly (and I mean full time job
hunting, not "keeping your eyes open for a better gig") then you should
be spending 8 hours a day doing so.  It takes time, but it pays off.

-- Corey / KB1JWQ