[Cialug] Job posting pet peeves (WAS: Job Opening - Red Hat)

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Feb 16 17:42:08 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Aaron Porter <atporter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM,  <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > :( I would love to...but that kind of work doesn't fall to me and the
> > closest thing we have to linux around here (that I know of) is AIX and
> the
> > linux vm I run when I need one. (ssshhhhhh... I didn't say I run a VM!)
>
> So you want Linux experience, but you're not willing to put too much
> effort into it... good luck with that.

Well, there are other ways to get some experience. For example,
http://www.arbornet.org/free_shell_accounts.php will give you a free shell
account.

For a small amount you can get a VPS (for example, $5.95/mo at
https://www.burst.net/linvps.shtml ) and host some websites on it. (it's
only $5/mo if you pay a year at a time)

Running a Wordpress MU and mailman list serve for your buddies can get you
some really good experience. If you really want to generate some traffic to
the cialug mailing list run your own DNS server. I'll bet you could find
someone who would trade secondary DNS service with you. All combined you
shouldn't have any trouble making back your $60/year and you'd gain some
excellent experience.

--
Matthew Nuzum