[Cialug] Job Opening - System Administrator
Josh D. More
MoreJ at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Feb 1 14:33:02 CST 2010
This is not an Alliance position. However, it is a position with someone I know, and the job looks like a lot of fun. Lots of opportunity here to make a difference and play with open source technologies in a business environment. If I may editorialize, a few notes before I get to the stuff that I'm forwarding:
* While this job involves Linux, it's a mixed environment. Trying to replace everything with Linux/Open Source would likely be an non-starter.
* This is one of those wonderful (IMO) "touches everything" sort of jobs. No one has all the skills needed to do everything at 100%. If you're interested, I strongly recommend that you negotiate training budget that can go to online classes, books or conferences, depending on which way you learn best.
If you're interested, please contact Tim at timander -at- gmail -dot- com
--- Begin Forward ---
Information Technology Department
Systems Application Support professionals to perform specialized information technology infrastructure and technical projects/tasks for internal IT production systems, test environments, computer users and development personnel which includes 24 x 7 systems availability and performance monitoring, installation and maintenance of production software on various operating systems within the corporate network and test environments, problem diagnosis and resolution, system configuration, security and performance tuning, and management of source code and production releases.
1. Design and implement integrated system applications to meet business unit and corporate objectives.
2. Conduct business process analyses and needs assessments for assigned projects and tasks.
3. Perform problem diagnostics and solution implementation.
4. Manage system and application monitoring tools; monitoring software, wellness check scripts, process and procedures.
5. Monitor and report on the system availablity, application performance and related network components.
6. Manage and maintain source code and system releases in production and within the source code repository.
7. Test and maintain the business continunity plans for assigned applications.
8. Perform system application security and performance tuning when appropriate.
9. Provide system application expertise, support, training and guidance to computer users and IT personnel.
10. Support and coordinate IT Operations activities for software development projects.
11. Define and ensure completion of IT Operations requirements for software development projects.
12. Identify, evaluate, and recommend new system application technologies.
13. Define, publish and enforce standards and procedures for software packaging, software distribution, and source code management that meet corporate policies and guidelines for quality and security.
14. Define, install and maintain systems application software and configurations to meet corporate policies and guidelines for quality and security.
15. Design, create and maintain processes to efficiently restore test environments.
16. Report project status and provide departmental progress updates; keep IT Systems Supervisor and IT Operations Manager aware of user issues.
17. Work outside normal business hours to support 24x7 monitoring activities, Corporation’s objectives and meet assignment deadlines.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
2. 2 - 5 years work experience in computer systems and systems applications support.
3. Experience in some or all of the following categories:
a. Software Development Lifecycle and Best Practices
b. Operations Monitoring On-Call Support and Best Practices
c. Systems Software (Apache, Jboss, Tomcat, IIS)
d. Scripting and Programming Languages ( Perl, VB, Java)
e. Source Code Repositories (VSS, CVS, Subversion)
f. Server Operating Systems (MS Windows, Linux, VMWare)
g. Relational Database (MS SQL)
h. Programming Experience
i. IP Networking Concepts
j. Internet Concepts, Tools and Techniques
4. Analytical with strong organization skills to handle multiple priorities and tasks.
5. Ability to express ideas clearly and accurately via written and verbal communications.
6. Creative thinking to effectively and efficiently resolve complex problems.
--- End Forward ---
More information about the Cialug