[Cialug] Change your password on gawker sites

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 13 09:13:09 CST 2010

Hi, if you use lifehacker, gizmodo or one of the other gawker websites your
password may have been compromised (along with 1.5M others)

While initially denying the attack, Gawker has issued an apology to its
> users on all of its sites, urging them to change their passwords because of
> the attack. [1] If you have ever commented on any of the Gawker sites, we
> recommend that you go and change your password.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/gawker-hacked-1-5-million-accounts-compromised/

[1] http://lifehacker.com/5712785/

*1) How do I know if my password was hacked?*
If you've registered an account on any Gawker Media web site (that includes
Gawker, Gizmodo, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, io9, or
Fleshbot), and you didn't log in using Facebook Connect, then it's best to
assume that your username and password were included among the leaked data.

Passwords in our database are encrypted (i.e., not stored in plain text),
but they're still potentially vulnerable to hackers. You should immediately
change the password on your account, and if you used that password on any
other web site, you should change your passwords on all of those
accounts<http://lifehacker.com/5712785/#4> as
well.

*2) What if I logged in using Facebook Connect? Was my password compromised?
*
No. We never stored passwords of users who logged in using Facebook Connect.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin