[Cialug] Distro choice? Was: Reloaded Debian

Tom Sellers tomsellers2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 14:03:34 CST 2009

Actually I had tried to go with Ubuntu 8.04 from the beginning per a suggestion from Josh More.  However,  I was never able to get it to load on this laptop.  I actually tried to install it again before re-installing Debian 4 this time and had the same issue.  I ran the media check and it did not find any issues with the CD that I have.  Not sure what that is all about but it does not work.

I also tried to load Opensuse 11.0 on this laptop as well and it hangs up before completing the installation as well.

I suspect that the laptop is old enough that there may be some hardware issue with being compatible with Ubuntu and Opensuse.  Unfortunately I don't have any other hardware to install on so I am somewhat limited.  Based on what I had read in the past I thought that Linux was able to run on older hardware without any issues.  I guess that is not necessarily the case.

I'll just try to make do with Debian for the time being even though it may be a bit more difficult.

I'd be happy to let someone try to install from my CD to something to verify that it works or doesn't!