[Cialug] Debian updated without choosing

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Sat Jan 24 13:44:37 CST 2009

sources.list tells Debian where to download packages from, and which
version of the packages to grab. There may be a few other files
in /etc/apt that control package selection in different ways.
In my /etc/apt/apt.conf, for example, i have
"APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages 1;" which makes Debian
download updates at night so i won't have to wait for the download when
i want to install them.

From a terminal, try typing "man sources.list". It should give you more
information than you probably want to know right now about that file.
Documentation for many other configuration files can be found
similarly.