[Cialug] Routes? Interfaces?

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri Feb 27 09:41:16 CST 2009

My educated guess is so that everything remains supremely flexible.  There are probably distributions with packages that will take care of everything for you if that is what you want.

For example, you may load TCP/IP in the kernel and then set up a Bluetooth interface.  You may only want to connect to another Bluetooth device using TCP/IP and not assigning a route - because you don't need one.

I would be a lot harder to do something very specific like this if the route was created automatically or if I was unable to use TCP/IP with my Bluetooth interface.  (I'm not saying you can - I don't really know).

I use AoE (ATA over Ethernet) and it just uses Ethernet packets over the interfaces.  TCP/IP and routes are not necessary.

Maybe somebody else will have more specific cases.

-Nate