[Cialug] Ubuntu Laptop Problems

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Sat Dec 19 21:16:06 CST 2009

Terry A. Haimann wrote:
> My wifes Ubuntu laptop has become very slow to boot.  I also see that I
> can no longer ssh into it.  I have copied the dmesg output, I hope it
> helps.  Last night I ran the output to dmesg and ran a quick backup of
> her home directory.

More often than not, slow bootups point to a problem with DNS (depending upon
where the bootup is hanging).  Your inability to ssh into it also lend support
to this.  RAM problems on the other hand, tend to hang the system hard.

Are you booting without a splash screen to see the services come up one-by-one?

When it's booted, cat /etc/resolv.conf and issue "route -n" to make sure that
things are sane.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\