[Cialug] distro for ibook

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Dec 8 15:29:55 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:36 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Tim Wilson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think it's fair to say that PC hardware is cheap just because
> it's
> > open.
> >
> Why not? Ever heard of Supply & Demand? The more suppliers in a market,
> the lower the costs.

Of course, but there are those that Demand better.  And for those, they
either have to learn the hard way (buy something inferior and learn from
that mistake), or go with something they've been told is better.  And for
some people, that's Apple.

> > There are *a lot* of cheap PC components out there.  Anyone that has
> > had a Deer power supply can attest to that.  It makes sense that a
> computer
> > company such as Apple has complete control over the hardware.  But of
> > course, you'll have to pay a premium for that.  PC makers such as Dell
> and
> > Gateway just slap in cards from the latest companies to have won the bid.
> >
> Still the difference between open and closed markets. With an open market,
> any competitor can build product - it's up to the user to determine the
> quality.

But exactly HOW do you determine that quality?

> If you want to pay Apple for that 'service', that's your choice.
>
>        Lee
>
> PS - Why is it a problem purchasing a MAC to develop for iPhone? YOU
> bought into the Apple market, .. that was your choice - you had the
> freedom to choose, but don't COMPLAIN to us about YOUR choice <g>!

Umm, I wasn't COMPLAINING to you, I was agreeing with some of the
conversation that has already occurred.  Why is it that Apple has closed
itself off as it has?  I find it extremely difficult to believe that they
couldn't make an SDK for Windows, just like they did with iTunes.  If I want
to develop for ONE piece of hardware, I have to purchase A DIFFERENT piece
of hardware that Apple makes?  Seriously?  That sounds like a monopoly to
me....

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/