[Cialug] distro for ibook

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Tue Dec 8 10:17:42 CST 2009

Afan Pasalic wrote:
> Dave Weis wrote:
>> Afan Pasalic wrote:
>>> I should read before I hit the send button :-)
>>> one thing is not clear to me. Is there REALLY good reason why apple
>>> computers are soooo expensive? hardware quality  can't be the answer
>>> because the same hardware configuration with Win on it  is at least 30%
>>> less, some times more then 50% less.
>>>
>>> the cheapest macbook now is $999. I bought toshiba laptop few months ago
>>> for $550 with, I think, superior hardware. if macbook was $600 or $650 I
>>> would buy a one. but to pay $400 apple logo on compuer? c'mon...
>>>
>>> I think with these prices Apple will never reach more then 10% of market
>>> share. more often I think they play kind of "noble product" game. only
>>> "special people" (rich?) can have it. lice cadillac or mercedes or
>>> porsche...
>>>

>> Let's say it costs $100 to build a specific computer. If you sell the
>> computer for $110 you will net $10 and sell 1000 of them. Your net
>> profit is $10,000. If you sell it for $200 you will net $100 profit per
>> machine and sell 200 of them. Your net profit is $20,000. Which business
>> do you want to operate?
> I got it. but, with $110 you have 1000 clients they pay for
> upgrade/update/maintain, comparing to 200 clients if you sell $200 a
> piece, right?
> and, if the market is 10,000, with 1000 you have 10% of market. with 200
> you have  2%.

Market share is something that people with poor margins care more about.
If you want to upgrade your Apple software, you buy it from Apple or by
the time you are done, you've paid Apple for it in some way. A lot (not
all) of the important software you use on your machine is from Apple.
They get paid on a lot of what you buy. Also, I just saw a message from
Josh that mentions people buying iPods, iPhones, etc. You might have
lower market share but you have 100% wallet share of the market share
you do have.

> and, why then HP, Lenovo, Ford, Nike  are not doing the same?

Steve Jobs invented it first. ;-)

dave

--
Dave Weis
515-224-9229
djweis at internetsolver.com
http://www.internetsolver.com/
Please check out our Complete Support Service
http://www.internetsolver.com/completesupport/