[Cialug] OT: In home video distribution

David Champion dave at dchamp.net
Tue Dec 1 09:51:20 CST 2009

L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Tim Perdue wrote:
>

>> I wondered if any of the other geeks have found a good solution to
>> in-home HD Video Distribution.
>>
>> Having an electrician out to run component jacks everywhere is a
>> possibility, but it would be slicker to do something over ethernet.
>>

> It might be worth doing some sniffing around your provider - Charter, for
> example, is going to 'Switched Digital Video' for all HD channels here in
> St. Louis, which will negate the cable card we're now using for HD.
>
> Won't be long before accessing any outside program source will require an
> STB. Uverse, for example, already provides distribution-over-ethernet.
>
> 	Lee

I haven't looked into it too much, but I believe there are various UPnP
player / client devices around, I've only played with UPnP with my PS3
and various streaming software like Mediatomb.

Look around on sites like Engadget, there's a lot of devices like the
Slingbox and the Hava stuff they talk about all the time.

-dc