[Cialug] Wow.

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Fri Aug 21 14:17:17 CDT 2009

Jeff Davis wrote:
> Todd Walton wrote:
>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541221,00.html?test=latestnews
>>
>> Never had it myself, but I hear it's a delicacy among the Republican crowd...
>>
> It's rarely a good idea to post comments like that.
>
> 1) You will (and have) offended people on the list.
> 2) The list is archived, and 5 years from now you may be looking for a
> job or something
>     and Hiring Manager Patty googles your name, sees this, and thinks
> "Not such a good fit in our company."

I reluctantly agree, as some readers may be young and impressionable,
still lacking the experience and knowledge that would allow them to
exercise capable judgment and rational discretion between intended humor
and serious declamation.

It is, of course, extraordinarily difficult to engage with nearly any
sizable group of people without rubbing /someone's/ fur the wrong way on
/some/ subject. The vi/emacs holy wars are a prime historical example of
the idiocy of blind polarization. Fortunately, most of the participants
survived, matured, and moved on to more productive discourse.

There /are/ those who go through life actively looking for things to
which they might take offense, and they'll probably always be with us.
Without doubt I would manage to offend /someone's/ sensibilities with a
simple statement that my preferred programming language for the work I
do is ISO/IEC Standard strictly-conforming C with POSIX extension use
carefully isolated in separate and clearly identified TU's. <sigh>

Five decades of software/silicon/mechanical development have convinced
me that if Patty's employers allow her to hire on any basis other than
the best-available expertise to get the work done, then the candidate's
interests will be better-served elsewhere. It's that simple - and yes,
it does require the exercise of a certain amount of courage.

Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/