[Cialug] Fedora 10 Networking

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 23:59:51 CDT 2009

I'm new to Fedora, and I'm having trouble understanding how networking
works in Fedora 10.  I've been working on getting KVM working, and
apparently one must turn off /etc/init.d/NetworkManager and turn on
/etc/init.d/network.  (There's two networking services!  That's
crazy!)

So, I've been following various guides on doing that, and I'm not
gettin' anywhere.  I can't get networking to work with
/etc/init.d/network.  Worse, I'm having trouble going back to
NetworkManager.  I leave a cookie crumb trail and back track
perfectly.  It worked before, but just now when I backtracked, it
didn't.  I turned off network and turned on NetworkManager, and yet it
wouldn't give me network.  I kept opening system-config-network
messing with various things, and there aren't a whole of things to
mess with in there.

Eventually I got to the state I'm in now, which is to say that
networking is working, but the little double computer icon in the
system tray in KDE has a red x on it, and it says "no network
connections".  Whatever, man.  I can load websites and I ain't dinkin'
with nothin' again tonight.

Can someone please explain to me how networking is supposed to work in
Fedora 10?  And, for bonus points, maybe how it's supposed to work for
KVM?

--
Todd