[Cialug] Anyone using Amazon ECS or other similar services?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Sep 4 21:13:12 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Tim Perdue <tim06 at perdue.net> wrote:
> Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>>
>> Are the services easy to manage?  How does that work?  Did you have any
>> good references to get started?
>>
>> I'm wondering about using ECS or VPS as proxy servers, TOR instances, or
>> first-touch mail servers.
>
> I set up an EC2 instance for a while and it was fine, but it seems like a
> really expensive way to host things IMHO. It's several times more expensive
> than a dedicated server at godaddy for example.

Same here - I didn't buy one but I did the math and for my modest
needs I could (and did) get a much better deal elsewhere.

One thing I've seen recently along these lines is media temple's gs
package which goes for $20/mo and appears to have replaced their
shared hosting option. It looks quite interesting. But then again,
shiny brochures always do. Probably not an ideal solution for TOR or
proxy servers or mail servers though.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode