[Cialug] Security and the browser

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Oct 20 11:00:07 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Nathan C. Smith
<nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> Some of the risk elements might include plug-ins, types of plug-ins, rendering engines,

The ActiveX plugins seem to be a favorite vector for attack because
they don't run in any kind of "sandbox" once you let them onto your
system.

> open-source v. closed source and whether a code review is possible,

Obviously open-source is a win here, as a code review of the FireFox
source is possible (but perhaps not practical for a small company to
do on it's own).  Throw enough money at Microsoft and I'm sure they'll
let you see the IE source code but that seems a bit silly.

> and the track record of the company supplying the product.

Microsoft. Need I say more?

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"