[Cialug] opinions on free software Ghost alternatives?

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:43:31 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:19 PM, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used Clonezilla a few times and this behaviour seems odd.  I'm
> guessing either a hardware issue or a bad disk?

I don't think the disc is bad; the md5 of my physical disk matches their
published md5 on the site.

But it gave me further bad behavior.  During the backup xfer, I got a
network driver error and a kernel message about a "soft lockup".  After
that, it never sent any more data.

I am not entirely sure that this is Clonezilla's fault rather than just the
kernel/drivers' fault.  The particular laptop I'm trying to back up has been
a huge PITA for linux since the start.

Clonezilla does need some polish though.  The ncurses interface offers the
ability to cancel/go back if you want to change anything, but there are
certain steps you can seemingly never get back to without restarting the
whole process.

I will try a different one soon.  FOG needs you to set up a special server
for it, whereas g4l seems like it needs minimal infrastructure.  I am
thinking I might just be lazy: blast the laptop's unused space with zeros an
let g4l do its dd+gzip thing.

- Nathan