[Cialug] New 250 GB laptop HDD

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Nov 9 13:32:56 CST 2008

I bought a new-to-me laptop without a hard drive so went to newegg and
ordered a drive. However the laptop takes the small 1.8" hard drive
and I assumed it took the normal 2.5" drive. Therefore I have a new,
unopened, oem-packaged 250GB IDE/PATA hard drive. I have an RMA to
return it to newegg but they charge 15% restocking and I'd have to pay
for shipping.

I thought I'd send a quick note to try and cut my losses. I paid $80 +
about $10 shipping a couple days ago. If someone wants it for $75 then
I think it would be a win-win situation. Don't reply-all, instead send
to me off-list and we'll arrange to make the swap. I will give you the
receipt in case you ever need to get warranty replacement.

The drive is a western digital scorpio ATA-6 250GB 8MB cache with 12ms
average seek time and 5,400 rpm spindle speed. I've bought another one
recently for a different computer and it's really a great drive. Very
fast and quiet and interestingly enough uses only 550ma of current,
which makes it far more power efficient than many common drives
(another laptop hdd on my desk, toshiba 40GB, uses 1,000ma) so you may
actually get better battery life by upgrading.

I'll be out and around tomorrow running errands, probably on the west
side, so if you want it I could possibly meet you somewhere.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode