[Cialug] install help on Dell Inspiron 1100

Kendall Bailey krbailey at gmail.com
Tue May 13 12:56:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

>  Since around 7.04 Ubuntu needs 384M of RAM to run off the live CD. Try
>  the alternate CD as Nathan mentioned or you can use the 6.06 live CD
>  and do an LTS to LTS upgrade from 6.06 to 8.04. I've run 8.04 beta on
>  256M of RAM and it was fine. Once installed and running if you feel
>  performance is too slow then you can use an alternate desktop like
>  xfce.
>
>  --
>  Matthew Nuzum
>  newz2000 on freenode

Thanks.  I'm getting the 8.04 xubuntu alternate iso right now.  Maybe
that will fit the hardware better.  I just finally upgraded one of my
machines from 256MB to 2GB a few months ago.  I still run another with
256MB and one with 128MB.  Boy am I out of date!  Just trying to
supply an internet laptop to a relative.  Thought 256M was enough!

Kendall