[Cialug] another phone

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Mar 31 13:15:48 CDT 2008

It's also always been legal for political people to call you on your
cell.  Possibly for nonprofits as well.

Callblock software takes care of it all.  I can block by unlisted and
put wildcards in the matching logic.  (No regex yet, but I've also not
yet seen the need.)

It's not as fun as my favorite way to get off the lists ("This is a
tech support line, if you want me to hear your pitch, I'll need your
credit card number"), but it's a LOT faster.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Neal Daringer" <admin at c0wzftp.com> 03/31/08 1:12 PM >>>
it is not illegal anymore. i have received them off and on for the
last
year. not sure when the law was changed, but i know its legal now.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:18 PM, David Champion
<dchampion at visionary.com>
wrote:

> I've only ever received 1 or 2 telemarketing calls on my cell phone
line
> in the 10 years or so that I've had one. It is illegal to do
soliciting
> on cell phone numbers. I also put my cell phone # on the do-not-call
> list, even though it's redundant, but I wonder if that's also
helped.

> -dc
>
> Josh More wrote:
> > If you get a "smart" phone, you can also install call blocking
software.
> >  I've not received a telemarketing or political call in the year
since I
> > installed the software.  That might shift the "annoyance vs
utility"
> > factor a bit.
> >

> > -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
> >  morej at alliancetechnologies.net
> >  515-245-7701

> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley
> > <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> will bring it up to the same level. I'm not *quite* ready to own
> >>
> > cell
> >
> >> phone though. The balance of annoyance versus utility hasn't
quite
> >> tipped far enough for me yet.
> >>

> > Like with email, there's a rhythm you can adopt that will let you
keep
> > your insanity.  In other words, don't always answer the phone, and
> > don't always call back right away.  And get text messaging.
People