[Cialug] OT - CISCO VPN Client

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 22:46:17 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Claus <cniesen at gmx.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to exclude a subnet range on the VPN Client or is
>  everything configured on the server?
>
>  The VPN Client is routing all 10.0.0.0/8 traffic through the VPN,
>  however I use the 10.0.0.0/16 range for several class C subnets at home.
>   When the VPN is active I can't access these subnets anymore.  I'm not
>  connecting to any 10.0.0.0/16 IPs through the VPN and I would like my
>  home network to be accessible when the VPN connection is active.

Since 10.0.0.0/8 essentially encompasses all the addresses under any
/16 subnet, you would need to either get creative with your routing
table on the client, or change the subnet in use at one or the other
end of the tunnel.  http://www.subnet-calculator.com/ can be helpful
here.  Ask yourself, "How hard would it be to switch the local
network(s) to a 192.168.x.x setup?"

BTW, /8 is consider a Class A subnet and /16 is considered a Class B.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork).  10.0.0.0/8 is reserved for
private networks and traffic to/from addresses on that subnet are
typically dropped by routers on the wild Internets.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc