[Cialug] IHDC: EdgeBCC

John Lengeling John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Fri Jul 25 15:56:48 CDT 2008

I can see this as a valuable selling point.

The data center in our Boca Raton office is powered down anytime they
receive a mandatory hurricane evacuation.  We have 1 hour to power down
all equipment in the data center before the entire building power is cut
by the office management company.   All PCs are moved from the exterior
wall to the core of the building in case of window breakage.

During hurricane Wilma (2005), the office was off for 5-7 days.  FP&L
had 3.2M people without power.  On top of that we have regular power
interruptions from FP&L (Yea!)

Then when you add in the total cost of a data center (land,
infrastructure, labor), there is a reason they are being located in the
Midwest.

Of course people are betting on California having a major earthquake
before Iowa...it will come some day.