[Cialug] SATA add-in cards that work with Linux

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Jul 15 14:37:11 CDT 2008

Anybody know of any (inexpensive) PCI SATA add-in cards that work with Linux that are not based on a Promise chip?  The Mobo I'm using has a promise chip on it and it locks the machine up if I use an add-in SATA card that is based on a Promise chip. I have tried about 3 different cards from different manufacturers and even the Adaptec card seemed to be based on Promise.

When I have an add-in card installed, the lock-up occurs during the POST when the system seems to be looking for drives.  I'm thinking another chipset might be the answer, but a new mobo may be the another answer.

Thanks.

-Nate