[Cialug] git in structured environment

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 23:41:57 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Aaron Korver <aaron.korver at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the SVN
> developers have been seeing what Git is doing and trying to improve SVN.

Linus calls subversion the most worthless project ever because you
can't do CVS right and that's SVN's goal.  I want to hear LInus' take
now that SVN is copying ideas from git.

Having read the release notes you linked:

"but there are still parts of our original spec that remain to be
done, and merging is sometimes too slow."

Though this svn:mergeinfo support should make merges less
painful...when finally implemented.  Though, using a property for
merge info seems like a cheap hack to me.  In git the merge commit has
two parent commits which intrinsically and permanently links the
merge.  A number of the outstanding issues seem entirely expected for
a tacked-on solution.  I'm being smug.  :)

Colin