[Cialug] CentOS Yum error

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Aug 12 13:28:35 CDT 2008

That method would still fail for yum, because the library wouldn't show
up as an RPM resource.

This is why you should always work within the paradigm of the system
you're on.  If you hack around it, you find out pretty quickly that
there are reasons why things are set up the way they are.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

Tim Perdue wrote:
> Dave Weis wrote:
>>
>> Try
>> rpm --rebuilddb
>> but I don't think that will help. There seems to be something else
>> going on.
>
> Yeah, I think one of my guys forced something when he installed
this:

> [root at texinst1 ~]# rpm -qa | grep git
> git-1.5.2.1-1.el5.rf
>
> And I don't know how to resolve it. I can't remove the rpms during
the day.

but I thought linux didn't have library hell   /flame :)

any chance you can download the old rpm, extract the .so file and drop

it in /lib?  then depending on whether php or git is dumb, point the
generic symlink to either so.3 or so.4  (or vice-versa, restore the old

and extract the new)

-barry