[Cialug] Buying a new PC

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Mon Oct 1 12:07:29 CDT 2007

I just recently built a new machine to replace my 9-year old former
machine. I put nVidia in it and so far have not been disappointed with
that choice in any way other than the slightly dirty feeling i get when
running proprietary software. But, i am hoping to make this machine
last nearly as long as my previous one. And somehow i doubt nVidia is
going to keep their driver working with the latest Linux kernel for 8
or 9 years. So, i'm really hoping that in the next 2-3 years either
Intel releases a standalone graphics card (currently Intel is only
available built-in to the motherboard) or ATI finishes opening up. Some
ATI documentation has been released, but there is hopefully more to
come. If Intel or ATI have an open solution on the market before the
bus technology that my motherboard uses becomes too obsolete to find
anything to plug into it, then i'll replace the graphics card. I
suppose it is always possible nVidia will open up too, but i am less
hopeful for that possibility.