[Cialug] Best Linux distro and language for software development

Tim Berneman tim at netconx.net
Wed Nov 14 19:37:52 CST 2007

As a long time programmer (professionally since 1984) I'm looking to expand
my horizons and learn to develop applications in Linux.  I've dabbled here
and there in different distros and used Quanta for web development (and for
the most part liked it).  For developing "window like" applications for KDE,
Gnome, etc what would you suggest for the language, development environment
(ide), libraries (for graphics, sound, etc), and is any distro 'better' than
others for development?  I've done a little research on languages etc but
thought I wouldn't cloud the issue by naming them here and I want to start
with a clean slate.

Thanks for your input!

tb

Checked by AVG Free Edition.