[Cialug] video conference/videophone

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Thu Mar 8 17:18:40 CST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 17:07 -0600, James Shoemaker wrote:
> Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> > Try voip-info.org under soft phones.
> > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=VOIP+Phones
> >
> > I think you will be frustrated by the selection that fit your criteria.
>
>   I have been frustrated and hoped others would have suggestions.
> Obviously not.  Guess SSL tunnels are my best answer then.

Can one of the computers not be nat'd? Seems like that helps things...
when we did ubuntu open week, we had a public conferencing server set up
that any one could sip into. Video was disabled, but I think it could
have been on. I and most people were behind nat'd firewalls and it
worked just fine as far as I could tell. I don't think the conferencing
server was anywhere remotely close to the other action... It worked like
a big conference call with most people's mic's muted.

When I say "public" and "anyone" what I mean is, anyone who wanted to
could ping the sysadmins and request a username/password.

We also had gobby, which is pretty cool. Check it out if you've not used
it yet.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode