[Cialug] Last night's meeting / next month's meeting

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Jun 21 13:41:13 CDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:

> Hope everyone had fun at last night's meeting.
>
> I think that we had a good discussion regarding locations, and I think
> that the next step is for Tim to provide us with a list of locations,
> and we set up a basic online poll so we can vote on where to meet.
> I do think, however, that it's important to have a "primary" base, and
> have occasional meetings away from that base.  That should keep us from
> fragmenting and shrinking like the Mac group did.

There might be a delay on getting the list of potential meeting locations.
My laptop died on me last night.  It looks like it might be a loose
connection for the video, so I'm hopeful that is it.  Surgery is scheduled
for 8:00PM tonight.  If all goes well, I will post the meeting notes tonight
or tomorrow.  I will get the list of meeting places together at the same
time.

Unfortunately, that means I was unable to take notes during some of the
meeting.  Matt, I think you mentioned something about having notes.  If you
have them, could you e-mail them to me so I can include them in the post?
Josh, same goes for you.  The problems started during your InkScape
presentation, so I don't know how much I got.

I also wanted to bring your attention to the topic for next month's
> meeting, which is 'Social Media on "teh Internets"'.  We will need
> people willing to talk about social sites.  I have a general overview
> worked up, that I can give, but I'd not talk the whole time, so please
> start thinking about what you either want to say or want to hear.

I can talk about digg and a little about delicious, flickr, LinkedIn, and
Classmates.

Lastly, at dinner, I made a few comments about instructables.com.  It's
> basically what it sounds like.  You can write instructions for people
> and share them with everyone.  For example:
>
> * Upgrade Your iPod Mini With Flash Memory -
> http://www.instructables.com/id/EX4ECMRF0ZTLLI8/
> * How to make a Green Lantern ring -
> http://www.instructables.com/id/EUS0W80F2XW9PF4/
> * How to make s'mores at home -
> http://www.instructables.com/id/EX6GC17F2XW9QGT/
>
> (disclaimer: I wrote the last one myself, as I needed to experiment
> with off-camera flash)
>
> Enjoy.
>

> -Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
> morej at alliancetechnologies.net