[Cialug] RAM upgrade

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Aug 16 17:55:29 CDT 2007

Here's a link to the motherboard on their website:
http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?CategoryID=1&TypeID=4&DetailID=511&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=7&LanID=9

This is for v3.0 of the board.  There was a v1.0, but it looks like the
memory specs were the same.

Two slots, up to 2GB total, that means 1GB per stick of memory.  I seem to
recall hearing that for DDR, there's actually 2 banks of DRAM on a stick,
that might explain the 4 bank thing.

I would second (or 3rd, or where ever the count is) going to Crucial.  You
can get the model number of their memory, then buy it from anywhere else.  I
recommend Newegg.com for online purchases.

For local stores, I wouldn't send my worst enemy to DIT.  I used to be a big
proponent of them, but being burned by bad products and treated like a thief
the last 2 times I was in there, I would not recommend them.  I would
recommend Computer Solver in Des Moines, (that's a $1 you owe me Dave W!),
or Dymin Computer Systems in Johnston for parts.  Don't know if they'll have
the memory, but I would go to those places for parts over DIT.

On 8/16/07, Brandon Griffis <brandongriffis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kendall:
>
> Wow, that manual is rather convoluted "four banks" but then later "two
> slots".  *looks back and forth rather puzzled.*
>
> Given what's already been said and going by Crucial's website (a very good
> resource BTW), I'm guessing it's really just two 184-pin DDR memory slots,
> each supporting up to a 1 gig chip.  If you know the board model I'm
> guessing you've ready opened the side of the box.  Taking a look inside to
> see if you've got two memory slots would be the best way to verify this.
>
> The manual also says it only supports up to DDR333 (PC2700).  Crucial
> lists a DDR400 (PC3200) option because that memory will automatically clock
> down to your system speed (probably 333).  It used to be a big difference in
> price between DDR400 and DDR333, but today they'll be almost the same.
>
> ECC memory is more expensive and usually not that beneficial accept in
> rather intense situations.  Non-ECC is what pretty much any standard PC
> comes with, and what I'd recommend you stick with.
>
> I would go with two sticks of either Kingston, Crucial, or Simpletech from
> here (assuming you do only find two slots on your board):
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=147&Description=&Type=&N=2010170147&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=523%3A7858&PropertyCodeValue=524%3A7860
>

> -B
>
> On 8/16/07, James Shoemaker <james at dhlake.com> wrote:

Tim