[Cialug] AIT 8-1 tape changer

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Oct 10 15:07:14 CDT 2006

Tim Perdue wrote:
> David Champion wrote:
>
>> Anyone familiar with this Sony tape changer?
>>
>> http://www.computergiants.com/items/one_item.asp?part=118620&ref=_site
>>
>> I'm considering getting this to replace an aging HP 6 tape DAT unit. I
>> have a single tape AIT3 drive that I really like, so I'd like to stick
>> with AIT.
>

> I wonder how much the blank tapes are vs. just buying a hard disk....

Looks like Newegg has the best deal on AIT3's - about $45 per tape.

Disk backup vs Tape backup is kind of an apples & oranges issue. With
tapes, you can more easily keep a historical archive. We also take tapes
to an off-site location. As DW pointed out once, I can drop a tape from
6 feet with no problems, but that would likely destroy a HD.

I've been using AIT tapes for about 7 years, and have had really good
luck with them.

-dc