[Cialug] Picasa for Linux

Don Cady donc5 at mchsi.com
Fri May 26 18:53:02 CDT 2006

>On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 13:41 -0500, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
>> This may be old news to some, but I just ran into it. Picasa for
>> Linux has been released.
>>
>> http://picasa.google.com/linux/
>
>And it uses Wine in some fashion.  Perhaps Google used Wine as a quick
>way to port the Windows version to Linux...  Anyway, I haven't used
>Picasa that much so I can't compare but F-Spot is another photo
>management program written that's a little more open-source friendly.
>
>Jeff

Yep.
"Picasa for Linux runs the current Windows version of Picasa using a
carefully tested version of Wine.."
"To allow Picasa to run well on Linux, Google made a few improvements to
Wine. Some of the changes were Picasa-specific and simply added a bit of
polish. ...... None of the changes were proprietary to Google, and all have
been contributed to the Wine project. The source for all the changes is
available at http://code.google.com/wine.html"
" In January 2006, Google contracted with CodeWeavers to improve Wine so
that it could run Picasa version 2.2 properly. Some of the changes fix bugs
in Wine; others implement previously unimplemented features. As of 18 April
2006, 225 patches have been committed to the winehq tree git as a result of
this effort."

And from the FAQ:
"Q:  Will more Google applications be ported to Linux under Wine?
If Picasa for Linux is successful, then other Google applications (and
future versions of Picasa) may also be written to the Wine APIs so that they
can easily run on both Windows and Linux. ...."

Don