[Cialug] OT: forum harassment

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Wed Mar 22 11:43:13 CST 2006

Tony Bibbs wrote:
> I run a lowly hunting and fishing website that has been around for
> nearly 6 years.  I've finally run into a situation where I had to ban a
> guy by IP for being an idiot (racist comments) and now he's simply
> hopping from PC to PC finding new IP's, creating new accounts and posting.
>
> This all materialized today, but my plan is to simply give this a few
> days to see if it dies down.  But in an effort of planning, are there
> any viable legal actions one can take?  I know who the guys is, just
> don't have anything I can really do.  My hunch is he will grow tired of
> it all, but what are my options if he doesn't?
>
> --Tony

(IANAL disclamer etc...)

I would guess that if you had a lawyer send him a Cease and Desist
letter, it would probably scare him enough to knock it off.

Depending on what kind of comments he's making, he could be breaking
various hate-crime laws, or if he's making threats he could be in
trouble for that too.

-dc