[Cialug] OT: Daydreaming out loud

Nathan C. Smith smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Jan 4 13:22:32 CST 2006

I saw that and I was a little disheartened.  I was hoping it was true, just
like rumors of a web-based office suite a month or two ago.  At least Google
is keeping Microsoft on its toes.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend?

I was thinking something more like Google's compute experiment or SETI at home
<mailto:SETI at home>  might be useful on the Google PC.  Google could fragment
a problem - for example - OCRing all the text in images on the web by
breaking it down into pieces and having each machine work through a fraction
of an image as time and CPU permits.  Nothing too time sensitive.  Of course
you would have to have an algorithm to prioritize which images were OCR'd
first, and a way to break them down and distribute them etc. etc.  I've
heard there are a few good minds a Google.