[Cialug] Soyo k7vme / VIA 8233 audio not working on Ubuntu 6.06

david l goodrich dlg at dorkzilla.org
Wed Dec 13 00:45:03 CST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 11:04:34PM -0600, david l goodrich wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:58:54PM -0600, kristau wrote:
> > Just a hint to verify the sound hardware isn't at fault:
> >
> > Boot to another distro that may have support for your chipset.
> > Knoppix supports just about everything, but you can also try SuSE or
> > any other live distro.  Heck, if it comes down to it, re-load XP.
> >
> > Just in case the hardware might, however unlikely, be bad. . .
>

> That's a good idea.  It'll have to wait, though.  My only machine
> with a CD burner (an aging iBook) just went into the shop with a
> dud hard drive.

scratch that, i dug up an old windows 2000 machine.

after installing that (ugh) i realized that i have made a stupid
mistake.  if there's nothing plugged into the audio headers on
the motherboard (these are in addition to the soldered-on 1/8"
stereo jacks) you don't get sound.  out of any ports.  period.

so i plugged the in-case audio jacks to the motherboard header.
and i have noise.

sorry for bothering everyone :]
  --waldo