[Cialug] Preferred pop3 or imap daemons

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Wed Dec 6 13:10:07 CST 2006

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> I need to set up pop3 and imap, anybody have any suggestions on which to
> use?  Most compatible?
>
> I'm using ubuntu and I see courier and qpopper, dovecot and teapop. Wu-imap
> etc. for Imap choices.
>
> I'm bewildered.  Right now Exim is installed for MTA.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Nate

I've used courier, dovecot, cyrus, wu-imap, mostly with postfix, but
have also used cyrus with sendmail.

Personally I like courier with postfix the best. Courier seems to be
easier to use, and less finicky than dovecot.

I'd only use Cyrus again if I needed the advanced features it supports,
which I don't.

-dc