[Cialug] Data Recovery Service?

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Mon Dec 4 09:25:07 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 08:41 -0600, Dave Weis wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> > My wife's laptop hard drive died last week... I've tried all the usual
> > suspects to recover any data but no luck.  There are some documents
> > (mostly images) that wern't backed up that we'd like to recover.  Can
> > anyone recommend a data recovery service that could help out here?
>
> Have you left the drive outside for an hour or so?

There are different problems... if you have filesystem corruption or bad
sectors, spinrite rocks. If the drive doesn't even respond you're
talking $$$$ to recover.

I've done the "freezer trick" for drives that don't respond. The thing
to remember is you get one (count it, ONE) chance and you don't get
long, so move fast.

I bagged my hdd and put it in the freezer for a couple hours. It spun up
but I didn't actually get any data off of it.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode