[Cialug] bash_history zero

Jerry Weida jweida at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 11:18:35 CDT 2005

Check and make sure that the HISTFILE is not set to /dev/null or something
in your .profile. If it is not set at all in there, then bash should default
to ~/.bash_hsitory. Also, make sure that HISTFILESIZE and HISTSIZE are not
set to 0. HISTFILESIZE will limit how big that file can get, while HISTSIZE
will limit the number of entries in the file. If any of these have been set
in your .profile, then that would be cause for concern as intruders will set
these so that their commands are not logged.