[Cialug] Web services platform

Jonathan Bailey jcbailey at code0.net
Mon Nov 28 17:39:57 CST 2005

I'm currently working on a PHP+Apache2+SomeDB project at the company I work
for. We're primarily a Windows shop, but Unix could make it also. The
biggest issue is support for whatever platform is chosen. Personally, my
experience is with Debian/Ubuntu, but as far as I know, both don't have
major commercial backers (yes, I know Ubuntu has one, but how long have they
been around)?

I'm pretty much looking for everyones opinions on what experiences they have
had with the following *nix/DBs. I'm leaning to Solaris 10/Postgres, but
that is new ground for me. What does everyone think about this? Best support
cost vs support offered is important also..

* Windows 2000/2003
* RHEL
* SUSE Enterprise Linux
* Solaris 10