[Cialug] Keeping it up

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 17:17:56 CST 2005

On 11/17/05, Allen Kiddoo <adk at 52761.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else went to such extremes to keep their clock running?

Back in the late '90's I moved an entire ISP from the 2nd to the 7th floor
like that. A couple 3000KVA ups's mounted on carts, moving dual power supply
systems. The goal was to get the box out of the racks, onto the cart, have
the elevator waiting down the hall, then we'd yank the ethernet and the
second power and run like hell -- trying to get up 5 floors before
bigbrother paged us.

Anyone want to brag about their uptime, hardware, and distro?

It always seems like the crap hardware runs the longest. I had a SparStation
5 up for 647 days recently, and my old no-name Cyrix 486DX40 running
Slackware and kernel 1.2.13 used to pull two years fairly regularly. For all
I know, it's still in the wiring closet back at my old college library.