[Cialug] rsync + SSH locking up?

Kendall Bailey krbailey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:24:18 CST 2005

I use mediacom cable internet, and long transfers of any kind often
hang.  I don't think rsync+ssh is any less reliable than wget in my
experience, and I use both quite a bit.  With rsync, I use a loop and
set a timeout and keep trying until it succeeds, like so

while true ; do
   rsync --timeout=45 --rsh=ssh -avz <source> <dest>
   if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then break ; fi
done

I set up an ssh-agent and use public key auth so that a password isn't
needed each time through the loop.

For simple wget, I use something like

wget -c --read-timeout=45 <url>

If something hangs for several seconds, it's been my experience that
it does not recover.  I have no idea what to blame, my box, mediacom,
some intermediate router(s) or what?  I can tranfer gigs around my
home network with no problems, using rsync+ssh.

Can you give more detail?  Are you having trouble on a LAN or across
the internet?

Kendall