[Cialug] Real VNC

Kenneth Ristau cialug@cialug.org
Sun, 22 May 2005 09:06:56 -0400

Theron Conrey wrote:
> James Shoemaker wrote:
>

>>     I can't find much use for VNC, for remote linux work I use ssh and
>> tunneled X and for remote windows work I have found that Remote
>> Desktop works better.
>>
>> James
>>
> No use and you're tunneling X?!?!?!? How about tunneling the vnc
> session.........

I agree, tunneling VNC kicks the hindquaters of tunneling X.  Much, much
faster.  The difference in speed might be negilgible over a fast network
connection (gigabit or full duplex 100 mbit), but as network speed or
available bandwidth decreases, VNC pulls ahead of X.

To answer the earlier question about who uses VNC and how often.  Me too
and daily.  I use it at home to connect the kitchen's laptop to the fast
machine upstairs or my laptop upstairs (both over 802.11b).  I use it to
connect over an ssh tunnel from work to home every now and again. I use
it to remotely manage servers and workstations that don't have Remote
Desktop, and even some that do but have Terminal Services disabled.

Wandering even farther off-topic, I have used a batch script on Windows
boxen called FastPush from the following URL with quite a bit of success:

http://www.darkage.co.uk

It basically "pushes" and launches a VNC server on a machine that was
previously VNC-less.  Works with multiple flavors of VNC, but only comes
with 4 or 5.  He does provide directory structure and logic for the
other flavors, you just have to drop the bin's into the right folders.

later,
kristau