[Cialug] [ot] laptop

Major Stubble cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 19 May 2005 10:51:07 -0500

OK, I couldn't help myself.  I tried to be objective, but I've played
with this one a little bit.  I can't make any great claims about its
ruggedness (very little you can do to test that when you don't own the
equipment).  However, I was greatly impressed with its performance.=20
The model that I played with used an AMD mobile Sempron 3200 (I would
personally want an Athlon 64, but I was still happy with the
performance) with a gig of  DDR333.  My only complaint was the that
model I test drove had a crappy Western Digital WD400UE (sounded like
a deli meat slicer when it powered up).  I would recommend the Seagate
ST94811A, which has 40GB of storage, 8MB cache, and is a tenth as loud
as the Western Digital.  On top of that, the suggested retail price on
the ST94811A is in the neighborhood of $80.

There is only two major drawbacks to this Asus laptop (and both are
personal opinions that you may or may not agree with).   First, it
uses the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.  I have yet to be impressed by the
RELIABILITY of any ATI card in the last five years.  Sure they may
out-perform nVidia at times, but every nVidia-based card I've
purchased is still kicking (makes it really hard to justify upgrades,
though).  Also, (and I may get many who disagree with this) I like
that nVidia's driver solution for Linux ACTUALLY WORDS.

Second, I have read that many people have had driver issues with the
SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO card reader and the software modem.  So, your mileage
may vary.

Here are the specifications.  Like I said, it is a sweet system.

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=3DA2000K%20Series&langs=3D01