[Cialug] DNS Issues

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Tue Aug 23 19:04:30 CDT 2005

One thing I remember that I changed yesterday that may have affected
things ... Hmmm.  This machine has only 1 NIC. I set up an alias IP
address so that I could configure PostFix to allow internal users to
use the alias address for unfiltered SMTP and then when the firewall
forwards email from the outside, then it can go to the regular IP
address to be filtered and run through SpamAssassin.  Now, I thought I
configured things properly through YAST which should have set it up
fine.

I noticed my routing table has the following:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

I do not have any network on 169.254.0.0.  Could it be that all of my
traffic is going to 169.254.0.0?  Would that be able to find the
gateway?  If 169.254.0.0 is representing my alias address, then I am
confused because I did set the alias address with an address local to
the 192.168.0.0 network. I can ping it and such with the designated
192.168.0.xxx address.

Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot this?

Stuart