[Cialug] Bad hd in raid?

Wyatt Davis cialug@cialug.org
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:59:26 -0500

I have a disk that likes to drop out of my raid array. Here is my
current mdstat.

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid5 hdh1[3] hdg1[2] hdf1[1]
      234444288 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [_UUU]

unused devices: <none>

I'm running software raid 5 on a slackware 10.1 box. hde is the
culprit drive. The last time I had this drive drop out of the raid I
was able to add him back in with no problems. I'm also not seeing any
read/write errors in my log files.

Is there any way for me to check this disk before I stick it back into
the raid? If it was going bad shouldn't there be errors in my log
files? Should I just replace this disk?