[Cialug] Ubuntu cds

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:58:01 -0600

Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> For those interested I will bring a live cd of Ubuntu.
>
> http://ubuntulinux.org/
>
> I will also bring my laptop to burn Ubuntu ISOs. If you want a Ubuntu
> live cd, or install cd please bring your own writable cd.
>
> (I'll bring some, but I don't trust this last cd batch I purchased. Lots
> of coasters.)
>
> I'm liking this distro. The will release every six months. The current
> release is their first, so it's considered "not pretty" yet.
> The word on the Ubuntu list is that the next release will include more
> mods/additions to gnome, such as a automatic wireless connection applet
> that will handle your profiles (a piece that I find lacking in most linux
> distros). Also coming more laptop support, dealing with centrino stuff out
> of box, X.org will replace XFree (no surprise there), bootsplash, and more.
>
> Ndswrapper is already included and works for most installs
> I've seen on the list. Some firmware is included, as well as Nvidia modules,
> and MadWifi. Madwifi worked out of box for me, so my new laptops
> multiband (a/b/g) Atheros WiFi just works. Also they included "pmount" for
> hotplugging and mounting devices, which works great (cleans Fedora's clock).
>
> I've also ordered pressed cds to give out, but I do not expect them by
> meeting time :(.

Sounds a lot like Mandrake 10.1's feature list.

p.s. Speaking of hotplug / automounting... has anyone tried to use
Firewire / ieee1394 under 2.6 kernels? It sucks. It's apparantly been
known to be broken for a long time (I've seen forum posts from April
'04). Too bad - it works really well under the 2.4 kernel - I have an
external firewire hard drive, and I have to reboot and use a 2.4 kernel
to mount it. You can pass a parameter to the kernel module
"serialize_io=1" but that apparantly effects performance.

-dc