[Cialug] computers in unusual conditions

Barry Von Ahsen cialug@cialug.org
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:09:47 -0600

Jeff Davis wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone on the list has deployed computers into abnormal
> situations.
> e.g. A PC for data collection in an unheated/non-cooled building in Iowa
> where the year round
>      ambient temp range is dramatic.
>
> I know you can buy 'rugged' equipment that will handle such extremes, but
> in this case I'm already looking at using a hand-me-down PII 500 which is
> more than sufficient for the task.

this was asked to /. not too long ago:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/02/055244&tid=137&tid=4

most people seemed to say/know/have experienced that as long as there's
not a condensation problem, the cold could be the biggest problem
(wrecking the disk lubrication and such).  that, and the mice nesting in
the warm case

-barry